1. Compost derived in part from biodegradable plastics increases the soil organic content.
2. The water and nutrients are retained.
3. The chemical inputs and plant diseases are suppressed.
4. Biodegradable shopping and waste bags disposed in a landfill can increase the rate of organic waste degradation in landfills.
5. Methane harvesting potential is also enhanced.
6. The landfill space usage is decreased. Biodegradable landfill covers can extend landfill life considerably.
7. Energy required to synthesize and manufacture biodegradable plastics is much lower for most biodegradable plastics than for non-biodegradable plastics.
8. Biodegradable plastics also offer important environmental benefits through the use of renewable energy resources and reduced greenhouse gas emissions.